This Chart Tells You Exactly How Much Sleep You Need To Get According To Your Age
A good night`s rest is key to good health and even allows the brain to get rid of toxins. While lack of sleep is detrimental, spending too much time in bed can negatively affect your health as well.
HOW LONG SHOULD I SLEEP?
Even though most adults are recommended to get 7-9 hours of sleep a night, this number is not adequate for all ages. For instance, children under the age of 18 need more sleep.
The chart below shows the most recent recommendations issued by the National Sleep Foundation. The recommendations are based on various studies with experts in sleep, anatomy, and physiology, as well as pediatrics, neurology, gerontology and gynecology:
Although getting an hour more or less occasionally is not a big deal, making it a habit can lead to serious health issues. Consider the 7 reasons to mind your sleep:
1. BACK PAIN
Back pain can be quite debilitating, leaving the person in bed and unable to stand up or move. Spending too much time in bed can make you more susceptible to pain as it weakens the back muscles. Therefore, instead of lying in bed, build up your muscles through low-intensity exercises. Consulting a physical therapist or chiropractor can help, too.
Spending too much time in bed can confuse the metabolism, forcing it to store energy instead of using it. According to a recent study in which both groups of participants followed similar diets and exercise regimens, those who slept for 9-10 a night were 21% more likely to become obese over a 6-year period when compared to those who slept 7-8 hours a night.
Depression affects sleep in two ways which are manifested by either insomnia or oversleeping. About 15 percent of people who suffer from depression sleep too much. Moreover, sleeping too much can negatively affect mental health and make the recovery much more difficult.
Chronic oversleeping often causes headaches. Not only that, but it also causes damage to certain neurotransmitters, such as serotonin. Consequently, the person may suffer from poor sleep quality overnight and headaches during the day.
Getting either too little or too much sleep may diminish your body`s ability to process glucose, which in may lead to insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes over time. According to a study which analyzed the lifestyle habits of 276 people over the course of 6 years, those who slept more or less than the recommended had higher chance of developing impaired glucose tolerance and diabetes during the study when compared to those who had normal sleeping patterns.
6. HEART DISEASE
The heart needs period of both exercise and rest in order to stay in shape and function at optimal level. However, getting too much of either one can be detrimental. According to a study called Nurses’ Health Study which analyzed the sleeping habits of 72,000 women, those who sleep 9-11 hours a night were 38 percent more likely to develop coronary heart disease when compared to those who get 8 hours of sleep a night.
Even though this phenomenon is still not fully examined, people who get 9 or more hours of sleep a night are more likely to die from a medical condition than those who sleep 7-9 hours.
HOW TO OVERCOME EXCESSIVE SLEEPING
1. Set a Sleep Schedule: Set up a strict sleep schedule which works well for your lifestyle. It is recommended to unplug all electronic devices about an hour before going to bed, practice yoga or meditation, and plan time-sensitive activities to help you get out of bed easily in the morning.
2. Get Clean: Take a cold shower whenever you feel sleepy. Even though you may want to turn on the heat, this will only make your sleepier.
3. Exercise: Exercising immediately after waking up will help you clear your mind, boost energy, and seize the day!
4. Drink Up: Drink a tall glass of warm water in the morning in order to stay hydrated during the day. Whenever you feel sleepy just drink up and boost your energy levels!
5. Stay Motivated: Find any interesting activity and stick to it. This will help you stay motivated and avoid using sleep as escape from you daily life.